Friday, June 24, 2011

Fourth of July Decor


So my local craft store closed for good in May--which was very sad on one hand, but on the other, Hobby Lobby opened a store not too much further away--and it has better selection anyway.  Of course, I had to snatch up a lot of great stuff at the closing store sale.  One of those things was a metallic gold plastic barn star.  Well, it was metallic gold--I'm so mad I didn't take a before picture.

First I spray painted it red, like so:


Then I gathered some red & blue scrapbook paper, scissors, & Mod Podge. 

I used a paper grocery bag to make a pattern, which you can see in the picture above.  I traced it on my scrapbook papers, cut them out, & mod podged them on, alternating  blue & red papers.  After all of that, I applied a glaze all over.  BTW, the red chevron stripe is from the Chevron striped pattern free printable on Sprik Space that I also used on the Chevron Striped State Map

To be honest, after I was done, I wasn't thrilled.  I thought maybe it was too patriotic & maybe I should have done something more subtle.  I had it hanging over the mirror w/ my summer mantle, but after I moved it to my front door, I like it better. 


Okay, so I want to share a couple other patriotic craft ideas in this post.  Then I'll do another separate post on my flags. 

Looking at this picture, I realize how bad these little stars are looking.  I need to fix them so the fabric isn't coming loose.  I made these stars from cereal boxes--just cut out 3 stars--I printed one off the internet for a pattern, then I wrapped them w/ narrow strips of fabric.  I have the fabric attached w/ masking tape--it is all over the back, & as you can see, the fabric just keeps coming loose.  You may ask, "Why not just cover them w/ one piece of fabric?"  The reason I did it this way was because these strips were left over from my patriotic fabric balls:


These balls are made from plastic grocery bags.  I wadded some together into a ball shape, then I used masking tape to secure it & make the ball shape a little more firm.  Then I wrapped narrow strips of fabric around them.  I think they are pretty cute.  I know that lots of people cover balls w/ fabric, but I don't know if anyone has made balls out of plastic bags!  I'm trying to use what I have, people!  I need to make some more to fill up the container better, so when/if I do, I'll take pictures of the process.

Um, okay, so if I want to have a good blog, I really need to work on the picture thing, don't I?  The glare is from the glass vase the balls are in.  The red shredded paper at the bottom is there because I don't have enough balls to fill the vase.  It does look kind of funny.  I could go take better pictures, but I can't because I've been dealing w/ squealing/crying baby for the last half of writing this post, & she can't take it anymore!

Linking to



20 comments:

  1. Looks great! I shared this on the Sprik Space FB page today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of сoursе, one of the reasons why this area οf
    Ohiо hаs rеmained so ρerѕistentlу bгanded as
    а poсket of jоblеѕsness iѕ іts failure
    tо rеcover from thе death оf thе steеl іndustгy and аlso because of automotive prοduction lіnеѕ outѕourceԁ to foreign landѕ.
    What іs interеsting is that you get to rеаd newѕ аnԁ аnalysis that give
    уоu an еntirely dіfferent pегspectiνe,
    rarеly seеn in corpoгate-sрοnѕored meԁia.
    ' They always intend to take public view on variousu topics.

    Feel free to visit my website; Latest Daily News

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helping oρtimiѕtic peoplе excel - in 7 аreas of life is heг mission.
    We knoω becаuse they have done so foг mіllіοns of other pеople.

    If the answer is I''''''ll dο whаtevег taκes''''''''.



    Here іs my web blog :: http://www.vaccineeducationonline.org/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you guys are usually up too. This kind of clever work and reporting!
    Keep up the great works guys I've included you guys to our blogroll.

    Here is my web page - bio tech
    my site > http://www.biotechnologyreview.net/ar/food-biotechnology.php

    ReplyDelete
  5. The newѕ whісh is telеcaѕtіng all thе іnfοгmation from all thе sideѕ of
    the wоrlԁ is саllеd as ωorld news.
    Thе mobіlе news serνice facility is νery new and unique concept
    thаt hаѕ сreated а buzz among evеry citizеn.
    Above all thе Нinԁi nеwѕ ωеbѕіtes is а real boom foг thе world.



    Feеl freе to surf to my blοg http://kst.dev.footsteps-cms.nl/index.php?title=Gebruiker:TyreeCour

    ReplyDelete
  6. " The site also offers items for sale, including apparel and bags emblazoned with a drawing of a mustachioed cat; I could not find any statistics about how much merchandise the website sells, but the items for sale actually looked pretty good. There are many people out there that are getting bored and most of the times when we get bored and we have nothing to do, we would mostly go on the internet and watch some funny pictures. Many people prefer the link baiting to increasing the profit in the online marketing field.

    Here is my blog please click the next webpage

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course, one of the reasons why this area of Ohio has remained so persistently branded
    as a pocket of joblessness is its failure to recover from the death of the
    steel industry and also because of automotive production lines outsourced to foreign lands.
    World news often has news that is related to famous Hollywood celebrities
    or sports person or international socialites. On you left you will notice list of content providers and on the right is the advanced search option where you can search video clips by typing in the exact
    phrase (in quotes), or at least one of the keywords to narrow
    down your search.

    My web blog ... desenv.fabricadeaventuras.com.br

    ReplyDelete
  8. Along with the stories about celebrities and other things,
    you will find many different stories about regular people and people who have made the news for many different reasons.
    It’s interesting how stars get annoyed when the paparazzi takes pictures of
    them. However, today, the wedding photographers capture photographs
    of moments that are precious and that you would cherish all
    your life; and, when you least expects the wedding photographer to
    capture you.

    my weblog latest celeb news

    ReplyDelete
  9. " Forum Threads " Blog Comments " Corporate Blogging " Social Network Profiles " Link Baiting. Who does not want to know what is happening in our favorite celebrity''. With this online store you need not worry about being fooled because the site is accorded security.

    Here is my blog axlebook.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. While nutraceutical and pharmaceutical content in the baseline algae strain is very small,
    current market values for these products are extremely high.
    It happens when our body cannot excrete sufficient insulin or when
    cells cannot react with insulin and subsequently glucose inside our blood is being
    accumulated and excreted from urine. coli, is used to produce insulin and other medicine, in human form.


    my blog post: click the next internet site

    ReplyDelete
  11. Helping optimistic people excel - in 7 areas of life is her mission.
    Then you'll have no trouble motivating yourself to do it. Nothing is more motivating than seeing physical proof of results.

    Also visit my homepage; Fitness tips and motivation

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been browsing online more than 2 hours today, yet I
    never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough
    for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you
    did, the net will be much more useful than ever before.


    Also visit my site cheap dumbbells

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is an
    extremely well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your
    useful information. Thanks for the post. I will definitely comeback.


    Feel free to visit my homepage: old hot rods for sale

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a pity you don't have a donate button! I'd certainly donate to this fantastic blog! I suppose for now i'll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
    I look forward to brand new updates and will talk about this website with my Facebook group.

    Talk soon!

    my web page - scrap gold buyers

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's amazing to pay a quick visit this website and reading the views of all mates about this piece of writing, while I am also eager of getting experience.

    my website ... self adhesive vinyl floor tiles

    ReplyDelete
  16. Its like you read my mind! You appear to grasp a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
    I feel that you simply can do with some p.c. to drive the message house a little bit,
    but instead of that, this is excellent blog. An excellent read.
    I will certainly be back.

    Look into my blog post; hot rod

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your website, how can i subscribe for a
    blog web site? The account helped me a acceptable deal.
    I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast
    provided bright clear idea

    my web page: phen375 weight loss pill

    ReplyDelete
  18. Howdy! I know this is kinda off topic but I'd figured I'd ask.
    Would you be interested in trading links or
    maybe guest writing a blog post or vice-versa? My site goes over a lot of the same subjects as yours and I believe we could greatly benefit from each other.
    If you are interested feel free to shoot me an e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you!
    Wonderful blog by the way!

    Here is my blog; self adhesive floor tiles

    ReplyDelete
  19. Woah! I'm really digging the template/theme of this site. It's simple, yet
    effective. A lot of times it's difficult to get that "perfect balance" between user friendliness and visual appearance. I must say you have done a awesome job with this. Also, the blog loads extremely fast for me on Chrome. Exceptional Blog!

    My homepage visit us

    ReplyDelete
  20. The old Student Loan messages based on spend-spend-spend were redundant.

    Finally, when you started working together, and send them to the said companies' product pages, or if the unpleasant smell of machine oil, on the basis that an unpleasant smell might intensify the pain.

    Feel free to surf to my homepage Student Loan People

    ReplyDelete